This picture had been in my pinterest for forever, and I’ve been very eager to make it. So as soon as I feel that I’ve mastered the skill to make up my own pattern on the bond knitting machine, I gave it a go!
My version (doh, i forgot the sunglasses):
I used up a little over 1 ball of the really big sugar& cream (or maybe it was Lions) cotton yarns. I know that you are not suppose to use cotton for sweater projects, as cotton sweaters are not drapery, and heavier. However, I cant really see myself wearing something wool or polyester during the summer, as it would just be way too hot. I cant bring myself to invest in bamboo/rayon yarn for a pattern I havent tried out either. But the cotton yarn turned out OKAY. I was able to wash it in the washer without it shrinking much. Its comfortable and seems to shape decently against my body after wearing it a few hours. Its just not as drapery as the simply soft polyester yarn I used in all my previous machine knit sweater though.
Here’s the pattern I made up:
Tension information: 2.5 tension plate, 2 out of 4 rods inserted at all times
- cast on 82 stitches with WY, knit 6 rows
- K 100 rows, mark arm holes
- K 36 more rows
- put center 30 stitches on waste yarn – this makes the neck band on the back
- each shoulder will have 26 stitches
- knitting 6 rows with WY on each shoulder, then take them off the machine
- cast on 60 with WY, knit 6 rows
- knit 36 rows, mark pocket,
- on the next 2 row, bind off 16 stitches every other, now you have 44 stitches
- on the next 18 rows, bind off 1 stitches every row, now you have 26 stitches
- k 44 rows
- mark arm holes
- K 36 more rows
- of course, when you make the other front piece, make sure the binding off is from the opposite side so you have two symmetrical pieces
Front neckband+pocket edging:
- join one shoulder and join the other shoulder
- pick up 114 stitches from each front, 16 on the horizontal, 18 on the decreasing, and 80 for the vertical. hand knit the edges
- bring out 50 stitches, and hook on between the markers
- knit 100 time
- sew the underside of sleeves and also sides of the bodice together. Make sure that you sew the edge of pocket into the body side seam.
- hand knit the bottom, knit the two sides together to form the bottom of the pocket for the two front pieces while doing so
- I chose to do I-cord finish with 3 stitches, but you can really do anything you want!
There are some stuff I wish I did differently. I think the shoulders should really be wider, or rather, the neck band at the back should be shorter. I would probably make the neck band in the back 20 stitches instead of 30 next time, and each shoulder 31 stitches instead of 26. I also think I might have picked up a few too many stitches in the vertical area of the front edging, the front piece curls in a little bit. Also, next time I might make the back longer than the front. This is because I put so much stuff in the pockets that the front piece gets stretched more than the back.
Anyways, I hope someone out here have a machine and want to make this! I know I will probably be making it again in another yarn and making it looser like the inspiration Having huge pockets like that is seriously awesome when you got a little one that asks for crackers and snacks all the time.
Lastly, I am so proud of little K. Just 1.5 years old and she can pose like a band member: